Monday, May 28, 2012

The weekend, work, weights, and a bum knee

This was memorial day weekend and it was a busy one. We had a lot to get done and the weekend seemed to fly by! It was a bit of a blur, but there was working and playing, so it ended up being productive and fun.

Because my husband did not have Monday off, we grilled yesterday afternoon/evening. What a feast it was!
He grilled a little salmon and some shrimp (to the left of the plate and some are hidden under onions there) but mostly it was zucchini and mushrooms. It was a great meal. I made some farmer's market broccoli to go with it too. It was tremendously filling and we had leftovers to eat again today!

Aside from that, the past few days have been a mixed bag. We did a little shopping and got some clothes to start the girls off for the summer. We also hit a birthday party for a good friend of my daughter's and the cake was too cute not to share!
It was complete with white chocolate wings and a fire breathing mouth (not really, but it looked like it). The kids loved it and it was delicious to boot!

I also did a lot of work related stuff. There was the usual Saturday grading and reading and answering emails. I just wrapped up a class and don't have another set starting for a week (online) but I also found out that I will be very busy over the next two weeks. I got an email asking about my interest in an accelerated class being taught to high-schoolers looking to do some dual credit. I responded, even though I wasn't sure what to expect, and to my surprise, I got the job!

I am excited at the prospect of unexpected money finding its way to us, since summers are always tight and we have a trip coming up in July, but I'm also a little worried about teaching kids so young! I am used to my adult students, so this will be a big change! I have taught 18yos in the past, but my usual student is well into his 20s with some having ten or twenty years on me. It is a mixed bag, but very different from these students who I will be getting who are as young as 14! That is big difference!

Like it or not, it will be intense and fast moving with four classes a day, back to back, starting at 8 in the morning. I do this for 2 weeks and then they are supposed to be ready to take the college placement exam required by the local junior college where I teach. I am hopeful that they do well! No pressure! I cannot imagine being 14 years old and trying to cram enough into my brain in that short of a period of time in order to pass a test. It has to be a lot to take in! I am excited about what it could do for me, however. This past semester was not the best one as far as student performance, so maybe these kids will end things off on a higher note before the summer kicks into gear. It would be great to leave having learned a lot and possibly even inspired! The good news is that unlike many part time instructors, I don't have full time employment, so if it all goes well, I could get this as a recurring gig. We shall see how it goes!

And one of the other fun things that happened this weekend was a trip to the farmer's market AND a trip to the gym. We haven't done BOTH those things (together) in a while and it was so nice to get to! Whenever my husband and I work out together, it is fun and productive. I am SO sore right now, because he challenges me on the weight training, which I have been slacking on. It was nice to get a little push in that direction. I asked him to help with that after Michelle suggested that I explore resistance training more. I have been meaning to, but for me, it is so much easier to NOT do that.

I wasn't sure why this was until I thought about it for a minute and realized: I hate resistance training ALONE. With the cardio, you are in a class or you are meant to be solitary, plugged into the TV or the music and in the zone. On the nautilus equipment you are NOT supposed to be fumbling around like I usually am --or worse--watching yourself with the free weights. I ALWAYS feel out of my element doing this part of a work out. Even when I had a personal trainer, and did more in that regard than I ever have before, it was not where I was most comfortable and was always like pulling teeth. Strangely, I enjoy the feeling of strength and power that it can give you, but the process is always somewhat of an obstacle for me!

This, like other challenges I have faced, will likely be something of the past in time. I remember a time when going to the gym was a colossal effort. Talking myself into not being embarrassed or feeling out of place too FOREVER. I would often never make it to the gym, coming up with every excuse in the book. NOW, I don't feel like I don't belong there. I may feel like I don't want to be there some days, but I don't feel "out of place" in the facility. I may not wonder to certain areas or into certain classes, for fear of that ugly feeling creeping over me again, but I at least can get into the building without the urge to high tail it out of there! :) That is progress, right? PLUS, I even ENJOY some work outs nowadays! That is the real measure that things are moving in the right direction.

In related news, today was day three on my new favorite machine at the gym, the AMT by Precor, and I dare say things are going well between us! Thursday was my first day on it, and I blogged about it. Then Friday, I returned with great excitement, to find that I *did* have to cut things short of my goal that day because my knee wasn't very happy toward the end of my work out. Saturday I decided against even saying "hello" and opted to warm up on an inclined treadmill before our strength training work out. And then came today, Monday, when I decided I wanted to visit with my new friend again. Things went well at first and we were having a blast there for a bit, when my knee made its opinion of recent events known right near the end of my 30 minute visit with AMT. I heard him loud and clear and bid AMT adieu. I got a great work out in, however, and am grateful for that. My guess is that between my hiatus and my previous work outs, my knee is just out of sorts.

It is only one knee, however, and I am treating him well in order to hopefully prevent the issues I have had in the past. As a matter of fact, Mr. Fussypants is being iced right now as I type this. :) If I treat him nice, I'm hopeful he will return the favor.

1 comment:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

So proud of you for taking risks and making positive life changes!! *hugs*

And you will do great with the teens :)