Thursday, September 11, 2008

Only seven years ago...

and it feels like yesterday.

9/11 is a day most of us will never forget. Strangely, I usually have a pretty bad memory about things that happened a year or two ago and things that happened last week, but when it comes to this date in our nation's history, I remember it clearly.

I was World Trade bound, as I was every morning en route to my lower Manhattan job. It was a scary day and one that I think was blessed because I was no where near the tragedy when it struck. I was running late that morning. Thank God for that! A couple of minutes made a huge world of difference and put me far enough from the chaos that I was able to avoid watching things unfold and far enough when the towers came down.

I thank God when I remember that day because it could have happened much differently. The hardest part was being incommunicado with my husband that day and being unable to let him know I was okay. The next hardest part was walking 20 blocks in heels to a long wait standing in a line for a ferry that would take me off the island and back home to Jersey. My sacra fices that day were minuscule compared to the prices paid by others.

What an awful day.

Pray for those lost and remember to pray for the survivors and for those who are ill after spending days and weeks going through rubble for survivors. There are a lot of sick people who are dying after inhaling and being exposed to all the crap in the air that day.

No comments: