Thursday, July 24, 2008

Definition of Terms

The first definition listed in Dictionary.com defines "trust" (noun) as a "reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence." I don't think anyone could argue that definition. This meaning (for its noun or verb tense) is probably the most common meaning of the word, although there are quite a few more listed.

I find that trust is such a crucial part of relationships (of all levels), and when you are missing this element, other things easily start to fall apart. Where there is a lack of trust, there is doubt. Doubt is actually defined as "distrust". Its first definition, however, is "to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe."

So these words are not exact opposites although trust and distrust do seem to be in direct opposition to each other. I find that uncertainty and hesitation are less extreme in my mind than "distrust". Maybe I'm just playing semantics for my own self preservation.

I have lost trust recently and now have doubt. When you realize there is a reason to be uncertain, you begin to question other things from the past. You also aren't sure you believe the new information you get from the now questionable source. You reflect on the old and are slow to take any new information as truth. This puts you in a bad position. When you cannot have faith in someone, what do you have?

There isn't much you can have besides "the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best." You can have hope. I am trying to hold on to that.

4 comments:

Curlz said...

Praying for clarity in your situation,..."that the truth will come to light". And yes, trust is key to any relationship ~ take care.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

*hugs* You know I'm here for you, woman. Keep fighting for it, eh?

tejanamama said...

I appreciate your words and prayers ladies. It means quite a lot!! **hugs**

dana said...

It is never easy to be in the situation you describe. Trust in another is huge...but not as big as trust in yourself.

Praying for your intentions. I hope it all becomes clear, soon.

(HUGS!)