Saturday, July 14, 2012

T-minus.... nothing! :)

"The time has come" --Ricky Ricardo (That only means something to you, and maybe evoked a small grin, if you are a Lucy fan. If not, then I sound like a big dork.)

D-day is here. Today (Monday) is the first day of the rest of my life.

Okay, okay, I'm a bit dramatic--and cliche. Sorry. Everyday is the first day of the rest of my life, but TODAY marks a new beginning! Today is the day my IIN classes begin! :) I cannot believe this day is finally here. I spent part of the past week reading and preparing with the starter materials provided for me, and in that time, I got good and hyped for what is to come.


I have been reading posts by other students and getting to know a bit about the type of people who are there to study. We actually are so different in backgrounds and experiences, but beyond that are quite similar. We all seem to have the same desire to change our lives and the lives of those around us through health. We want to achieve happiness through healthy endeavors. The kinds of aspirations people have are so different as some come from health backgrounds and others, like me, come from all other walks of life. Some are educators like myself and some come from marketing or business backgrounds. Some are business owners and others are moms who have been out of the workplace for some time. There are people in their 60s and kids who are barely out of high school. It is proving to be an interesting bunch and I think that will help to create a very dynamic learning environment.

The most exciting thing for me has been the brief preview of topics to be covered in the next year. Some of the subjects seem as if they will help to make me a better person overall, improving my personal habits and teaching me so much about becoming a better, happier person. Some of it is science based nutrition and other stuff is based in holistic health. Some of it has to do with the business aspects of becoming a health coach and other subjects focus on creating a balance in your personal life. It is all quite valuable and some of it is very new to me.

The only big problem I foresee is figuring out how to survive the fall. School starts for the 7yo first, then me, then my 3yo will begin her program. The idea of juggling drop offs and pick ups and grading and teaching (at two institutions for multiple classes) AND doing the course work I am now signed on to complete is starting to worry me. Starting this trek toward my new career is non-negotiable, but the rest of it will be tricky. Some compromises will need to be made and hopefully they don't require me to just suck it up and never sleep again! :)


In the meantime, I am having a GREAT and healthy week. I feel awesome, like I am busting through some big barriers mentally because I am enjoying my gym visits more than ever and really starting to feel strong. I feel in synch with my body in a way I haven't felt in a long time (if ever). I hear it asking me to slow down or being tolerant of me pushing it and feel stronger for the efforts I have made at the gym. It has been great lately and this makes me feel happy and accomplished. When your body feels good and exercise is falling into place, it makes it so much easier to eat well. Something about one area going well that makes other things fall into place. Sadly, the opposite can be true too, so its dangerous when I stay away from the gym for too long or let my eating habits slip.

I have to say, though, the focus I have had lately on eating cleanly has made a big difference in my attitude and in what I'm willing to put into my mouth. I still want the things I have always had, but I'm less likely to reach for them now that I'm stricter about limiting sugar, limiting processed foods, limiting chemicals (like artificial sweeteners) and avoiding non-organic foods. I am SO FAR from being perfect but I make strides to be a cleaner eater and it seems to be helping.

I hope loose ends fall into place as the summer starts to wind down, but for now I plan to enjoy what is left and work hard to accomplish as much as I can during this "off" time. That means working out hard, doing well with my eating now that there are fewer distractions, and studying hard to learn and enjoy school as much as I can. I even have new plants waiting to go into the ground and the promise of a fall harvest of tomatoes in my backyard. What an exciting prospect that I hadn't previously known was possible.

I am still teaching and juggling things all summer long but it is the calm before the storm in many ways; it is the beginning of being a student again, so there is a lot to appreciate about this moment in time.

No comments: