Wednesday, July 2, 2008

OH. MY. Goodness. *pant pant*

So today I was beat into a sad pile of wilted, sore, fleshy mush. Almost literally. I went back to personal training after more than a two and a half month break. I have a new trainer, who I actually like, but I was so out of shape that it left me breathless, dizzy and dang near passing out.

TRES EMBARRASSING!

First off, I was worried the trainer would look kinda like this ---> Cat_avatar but she actually is very normal looking and has really muscular legs. She wasn't as young as some of the others (25). So far, so good. (I say this because I previously had a young guy trainer (20) who I liked as a person, but not otherwise. Sweet kid, but wasn't consistent and seemed to lack some knowledge.)

I felt fine for the first half of things and then started slowly to feel light headed. I get light headed in my day to day life (not sure why yet, thinking its an inner ear something because BP and sugar issues have been ruled out), so this was nothing out of the ordinary. A little closer to the end, I told her how I felt and we took longer breaks but pressed on. I'm stubborn too and was determined to get through it.

Then the last set of ab exercises came. I had to hold my now leaden legs up and balance on my tailbone/butt doing medicine ball twists. I know I'm not using technical names, but I am still panting here. Gimme a break. :) This last move took every last ounce of effort I had in me and I told her before I started it that I might not finish. But of course, I pushed forward. I stopped right before it was over and she made me finish.

Done. THANK GOODNESS. Whoa. Things really start spinning. Oh snap!

I sat for a while and then nausea started. CRAP. I excused myself and went to the bathroom. Spinning spinning by the toilet. I realize too late that I'm not going to puke. I'm going to pass out. SHIT. SHIT. SHIT!

I walked as fast as I could as the room went ...black. I grabbed the door before going down and fell beside it. I think I lost a few seconds there, but was back soon thereafter. The door opened and I crawled outside and across the small hall into the kid room where my kid was busy playing with a worker and a few other kids.

"Mama!!! Look!!! These are all my friends!" Hugs and kisses follow as I lay there, room spinning and feeling extremely out of it. The trainer had been there from the tail end of the bathroom thing when I was coming back to the land of the living and had said a few things and was sitting next to me again by this time. She brought a glucose pill for me to chew on. Yum. Orangey.

We proceed to talk while I come to. She is a nice gal. Young, but I like her better than my previous trainer. I also learn she used to be my size! Woah. She's now a size four. HUH? WTF? She swears she can get me to size eight. I laughed. Hard. Out loud. Feeling much better now.

Before you go thinking that I didn't eat anything, I had a meal replacement bar en route to the gym. It was a south beach one, so it had carbs in it. I really thought I'd be okay! I have had a lot of dizzy work outs in the past (I have lots of dizzy days), but they *never* ended this way before! INSANE.

The past two days have been emotionally draining for a few reasons, though, so I am not surprised the physical draining followed. I had been away from working out with weights and I was running on fumes. Little sleep. Etc.

Mind and body connection. I swear its a very real thing!

I will be back on Tuesday and every Tuesday and Thursday after that. Hopefully I am back to where I was and then some in another month or so and it should happen without any more black outs! ;)

I'll be back to the gym tomorrow for cardio and I hope no one points and laughs! s2

4 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

If your gym is anything like mine, then nobody points or laughs...even if I have hairy armpits or the guy on the x-trainer beside me lets out gas...loudly. Everyone just ignores it or pretends they don't notice if it is something embarrassing. :)

I've been at the gym 3/3 days so far...and so good. :) Plan to go again tomorrow..I'm on a weights/cardio rotation and once I see progress I will probably do a weights and cardio/cardio rotation. I've decided I cannot work out with trainers or instructors though, so it has to be all me. :)

Good luck with your "on your own" training and maybe get your iron checked? You could be borderline anemic.

*hugs* I'm so proud of you for your return to the wagon!!

tejanamama said...

i had icecream tonite so no hugs :) LOL stressful time :(

Ya know i'm not comfy doing my own thing with strength training yet...i feel inadequate and afraid i'll hurt myself cuz before i had my girl i did get hurt at the gym. OH and i had iron checked! blood is fine. weird weird thing we cant figure out yet! :(

Curlz said...

Yay for you! I am holding my tongue about how hard little miss 25 pushed you though...trainers need to be attuned to their clients, and eased (challenged but no overwhelmed) back into a fitness program, but then I'm much older and hopefully wiser. Hope you figure out what the dizziness in about. Keep up the good work - this is an area that stubborness can be a real asset! ;)

tejanamama said...

Curlz....I'd LOVE an older trainer! At the old place (which I cannot afford and splurged on for a few months) my trainer was 36. Loved him. Here, she's one of the older ones. INSANE how young they are. THere is one who is in her 50s but she's booked solid. I would love an older (and I believe wiser) PT! For now, she'll do. So glad to have met someone here who has some knowledge to tap in this area! :) Have a great weekend!