Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Oh, What A Night!... "

"Late December back in '63...What a very special time for me...As I remember what a night!"

Actually, I wasn't even born then. My parent's hadn't met yet in 1969, as my father was still overseas fighting as a Marine in the Vietnam war. And still, that song is one I love, in spite of the circumstances in my life the first time I heard it ringing loudly through the air.

I was living in a small town (think no-airport-access w/in a couple-of-hours-small) in PA attending my first year away at college. This song would play with great regularity out the windows of the Frat house very close to the dorm building I lived in. I could see their large homemade banner hanging from the windows. It was made from a large sheet and had big red letters painted on it that read "BUSH '92".

I was a strong Bill Clinton supporter in my first legal election. I was eager to vote and did so via absentee ballot that year due to being away from home for the first time in my life. The campus was so republican it was weird. I had heard college was a more liberal place and every day my Clinton signs were being ripped off my dorm room door!

Yes, everyone, I was in hell. This had a lot to do with why I only stayed in PA one year!

I fondly remember that song for some odd reason, even though when I did hear it blasting from the sporty expensive convertibles driving around campus or from the windows of the Republican old-money dorm it gave me the willies back then.

Tonight, as I sit by an open window with a very atypical chilly breeze blowing in and the loud splattering of rain hitting the balcony, that song came to mind. I actually said to my husband, "Oh! What a night!" :)

On a not so great day, this night has cheered me up and left me revived and inspired. Thank goodness for small miracles! :)

No comments: